Fried Green Tomatoes

Loved the movie! Always wanted to try them and now I make every year!
A southern delicacy much like frog legs at the buffet or fried bologna on a burger (an acquired taste)!

When you pick your green tomatoes be sure they are firm. Squishy, mushy will only fall apart in the pan and create a huge mess for ya!
Cornmeal mix:
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup Flour
1-2tsp salt & pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
add to a quart bag and shake real good.

8 green tomatoes, sliced about 1/4-3/8"
Butter Shortening- about three cups

Get your pan prepared...add shortening, and heat up until it is Hot Hot. How do you tell..take the corner of one of your battered tomatoes and dip in oil, if it bubbles you got Hot Hot!!
Now while you waiting for your pan to get Hot Hot...prepare your sliced tomatoes. Take tomatoes and "sludge" them in your cornmeal mix. Flip, toss, sludge until good and covered. Set aside in clean dish being careful not to stack on top of one another. You can lean on each other just not stack.
Oil should be ready...CAREFULLY place sludged tomatoes in oil. Brown on both sides!
Let the ends brown too!
Place on towel to drain.....do not be surprised if they soften.
Oh, how sweet the taste!
Enjoy!!

Comments

  1. I cannot abide fried green tomatoes. However, I wanted to fry some for the guy I was dating because he loved them, does not cook, and had not had them in ages. I never used a recipe, but he loved them.

    One day, I was making cornbread and looked at the batter, thinking it would work on the tomatoes. So, I left some of the batter in the bowl. I used the tomato slices to sort of wipe up batter and used a fork to rub the slices around. I fried them without telling him what I did. He thought they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Cornbread Casserole

Stuffed Green Peppers

Meat Stuffed Squash